Ok, I know I went traditional on the collective nouns this time, but the alternatives were just too weird…flock, sault, sawt, sowse and troop. I think I’ll pass!
Most of these lions were photographed in Botswana (2-8) and a couple of them from South Africa (1 & 9). I still have quite a few more to work on and some video as well… So there will be more coming soon.
I really like the way the Lisa Cueman inspired duo-tones work with lions. Some of the images are a bit gory and this sort of tones that down a bit too. Speaking of gory the rest of my lion photography does contain some graphic (gore) images. I don’t think they are over the top and you can see them…HERE.
In case you were curious:
- Male lions can reach a length of 10 feet and weigh between 300 to 500 pounds or more. Female lions are slightly smaller.
- A lion’s roar can be heard up to 5 miles away.
- Tigers are lions’ closest relatives. Without their coats, lion and tiger bodies are so similar that only experts can tell them apart.
- Lion is the only member of the cat family to have a tassel at the tip of the tail.
- A pride’s territory often stretches to about 100 square miles.