Boring collective noun, but a very kewl animal. We were quite lucky to find this young female in the Lamar Valley during my recent trip to Yellowstone National Park. She was a bit skittish and was too shy to cross the road because of a clique of photographers…sorry, but I had to include that noun. Naturally we were not standing in the crossway that the moose wanted to use, but others were not so conscientious.
In case you were curious:
- The word “moose” comes from the Algonquin Indians. It means “twig-eater” or “the animal that strips bark off of trees.”
- The moose is the world’s largest deer.
- Moose weigh 1,100 to 1,800 lbs.
- A moose’s lifespan is 15-25 years.
- Moose can run at a speed of 35 mph and swim at a speed of 6 mph speed.
- Moose can stay under water for about 30 seconds.
Here is the map of Lamar Valley where we located this moose.[xmlgm ngg_gallery=87]