Coalition is the official collective noun for cheetah, but I don’t like it very much. I’m thinking, Dash or Race or something more suitable to our fastest land mammal…
These pictures were mostly from Botswana’s Moremi Game Reserve. We had a lot of great sightings including 3 bachelor brothers taking an impala calf. The one shot with the crazy “sunset eyes” was in Madikwe South Africa.
I’ve been scanning some old images and there are some more nice cheetah shots so I’ll get those online soon too.
In case you were curious:
- Size: 3.5 to 4.5 ft (1.1 to 1.4 m); Tail, 25.5 to 31.5 in (65 to 80 cm)
- Weight: 77 to 143 lbs (35 to 65 kg)
- Can reach 60 mph (96 kph) and will pass 45 mph in about 2.5 seconds
- Cheetahs were trained by man for hunting as long ago as 3000 BC
- Perhaps only 12,000 of these big cats remain and are considered endangered
- They can’t roar, but they are the only big cat that can purr.